Friday, July 22, 2016

—Game Review— Fable II

This is a game that I probably wouldn't have played if it wasn't for my brother's recommendation. He's the real gamer in the family, though I think I'm finally giving him a run for his money. ;)



***Fable II***


Published by Microsoft | Developed by Lionhead Studios
Released 2009 | Action RPG
Xbox 360 Exclusive
*Rated M for Mature 17+*
Blood | Language | Sexual Content
Use of Alcohol | Violence

HGG rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 8/10

Synopsis? 
You are Sparrow, an orphaned child whose destiny is far greater. You are a Hero and it is your job to save Albion from the dark future it faces. Your decisions determine whether you are a good hero, or an evil one. 


First impressions? 
Hilarious. I do enjoy a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Yes, that was my first impression the very first time I played this years ago. It was an impression that stuck with me.

The rest of this review will be based on that early playthrough, to the best of my recollection. Be prepared for possible... misinterpretations. lol

Graphics and voices? 
Very good for the time. I don't have screenshot capabilities on my 360 but you can see the graphics in the game trailer I linked above. :)

The voices are good, I thought, though I hate that the main character (you) doesn't talk at all.

I love the eerie music in this game. Not entirely sure why, but there are times I play for the music alone.

Gameplay? 
Nothing too strenuous and at times downright easy. This is an action RPG, so basically you swing your sword or fire your ranged weapon at the baddies you come across, earning orbs that you can then apply to skills, building your character the way you want. Easy to catch onto and enjoyable.

This game [kinda] allows multi-player, but it was a last second decision on the devs' parts to even include it (i.e., it was a downloadable patch), so it understandably sucks. I (we) only found it useful when doing trades and whatnot in order to get certain achievements. That's really the only useful purpose. 

Storyline? 
Fairly interesting with enough mystery to keep you plodding on. You are a hero and you need to stop a bad man from taking control. Yeah, that's pretty cliche, but this one is humorous enough to keep the player's interest.

You can marry in this game, which isn't really necessary to enjoy it, but it's kinda funny. If you cheat on your spouse, they find out, then abandon you and any kids you might have. That's when it gets kinda sad. 

Complaints? 
The mute protagonist, the sucky multiplayer, the excessive sexual innuendos that get old very quickly... I think that's it. There really isn't much to complain about in this game.

Overall? 
Great game. Though it has that M rating, I don't think it's all that bad. Yes, there's some language, and yes, the sexual innuendo is rather thick, but compared to games like The Witcher series and DmC Devil May Cry, or even the Borderlands games, it's almost nothing. There almost needs to be another rating between T and M for games like Fable.

Personally, I've never thought "use of alcohol" was even something to add to a rating. But yeah, in this game, you can get your character stumbling drunk, so I'm sure that's why the rating board thought it needed mentioning.

My rating? 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ - 8/10 life hearts. This is my favorite of the Fable series. Fun, intriguing, and action-packed. Worth playing more than once.

Where to buy?
The Platinum Edition comes with all the DLC. I recommend you get that...
*All things Fable are © Microsoft/Lionhead Studios; these companies do not in any way endorse this fan blog.

Until next time... 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...