Friday, July 15, 2016

—DLC Review— Vergil's Downfall (DmC)

After playing just a bit of Vergil's downfall, I realized that I really should review some DLC separate from the game. Some DLC is just that good ...or bad.



***Vergil's Downfall***
DmC Devil May Cry


Published by Capcom | Developed by Ninja Theory 
Released 2013/2015 | Action
Standard Edition for Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Definitive Edition for Xbox One, PS4
Review: Xbox 360, PC, PS4
*Rated M for Mature 17+*
Blood and Gore |Drug Reference
Nudity | Strong Language | Sexual Content

HGG rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 8/10

Synopsis? 
You are Vergil, Dante's twin brother, and you must traverse your own personal hell to escape, killing him as he once killed you. 

First impressions? 
Fascinating. No, really. That was my first impression. And that impression was for the whole setup of this DLC: the graphics, the story, the gameplay, everything.

Graphics and voices? 
The gameplay graphics are the same as DmC, but the cutscenes are done in a graphic novel style. Not my favorite style, but I thought it gave this story a compelling quality.

Cutscene Graphics: Vergil and Dante

Classic Vergil Skin
Definitive Edition
The Definitive Edition comes with an extra skin for Vergil, Classic Vergil. Anyone familiar with Devil May Cry 3 will recognize this skin. The Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition includes Vergil as a playable character and this "classic" skin is what he looks like too.

Of course, they used the same voice actors for this that they used for the main game. Very well done, in my opinion. You can hear a bit of it in the video I linked under "Gameplay" below. ▼

Gameplay? 
Very similar to DmC, though Vergil has different moves from Dante that essentially do the same thing. Make sense? No? Oh well. Watch my video anyway. ;)


There're a couple new baddies to take on in this DLC, which makes for a nice little switch from DmC. Though the regular baddies are exactly the same. How you deal with them is a bit different, however, as you can see in the video above.

Standard vs. Definitive Edition:
The differences in the two are small. Some lost souls are in different places. In fact, I think they are easier to get in the DefEd. In the Standard Edition, they liked to make the player HAVE TO use enemy step in order to get high enough to get a lost soul. If I remember correctly, there are two of these in Vergil's Downfall. I might never get them. Which would be a bummer.

Storyline? 
Almost better than DmC, in my opinion. Makes for a satisfying addition to an already enjoyable game.


Complaints? 
Harder than DmC, which was unexpected and unpleasant for a lazy gamer such as myself. Yes, I'm that lazy. And Vergil has no double jump. I really, really hate that. It becomes necessary to use the Angel/Demon Evade moves—called Trick Up/Down when you're Vergil. Those are buttons I'm just not used to using. Again, who's a lazy gamer? This girl!

And get this: The Definitive Edition is even harder...in certain ways. Damn the devs to Vergil's hell. I get this message a LOT:


Overall? 
Far superior than many DLCs put out there to bilk fans out of more money. I didn't regret giving Capcom more of my money to add this to my library. In fact, I've bought DmC so many times now that I think I want Capcom to have ALL my money...


My rating? 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 8/10 life hearts. Worth the money, even though it's only six missions long. Honestly, it didn't feel like it was too short.

Where to buy?
*All images and videos are taken by The Heartless Gamer Girl, but are © Capcom/Ninja Theory. These companies do not in any way endorse this fan/gaming/reviews blog.

Until next time... 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...