Friday, September 16, 2016

—Game Review— Mobius Final Fantasy

In an effort to expand my gaming horizons, I've been grabbing mobile games. Well, the free ones. The following was one I had heard about before it was released here in the US and I was really excited to get my hands on it. I am not disappointed.


***Mobius Final Fantasy***


Published and developed by Square Enix
Released 2015 (Japan)/2016 (NA) | JRPG
For iOS, Android | Review: Android
*Rated T for Teen*
Fantasy Violence | Suggestive Themes | Partial Nudity

HGG rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 9/10

Synopsis? 
You are Wol (or whatever name you happen to choose) and you have no memory of who you are. You are a "blank." It's up to you to become the Warrior of Light, the warrior of legend who will save Palamecia.

First impressions? 
Wow. This is a mobile game? Damn.

Graphics and voices? 
Good. Some of the voices sound familiar. The graphics are more than I expected from a mobile game. A lot more.

Gameplay? 
There's an "auto" button. Kinda takes the fun out of it all, but you don't have to use that. Like most FF games, getting used to the battle system takes a little time. I find myself using auto in an effort to figure out exactly how it gets higher scores than me...

This game uses cards and decks for battle. Each card works kinda like a summon in other FF games. They have a special attack that you can use as you gather enough of the elemental orbs required. The cards level up as you gather EXP and can be modified through card fusion. It's all very confusing at first, but it only took me several [dozen] hours, and a boss-killing special event to finally figure out a lot of it. And there are still aspects that I just don't get. But then, I'm old, so...

Storyline? 
I think the story is pretty typical of FF games. You are a character with no memory, a chip on his shoulder, and set on a mission towards becoming the world's savior, in this one specifically the Warrior of Light. Now, you can actually name your character, but the character's name is W O L ... Get it? Warrior Of Light? Heh.

And there is a girl. A mysterious girl. You must reach her. Also super familiar...

If I remember correctly (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but the whole Warrior of Light thing is also mentioned in FFI (I think), FFIII (again, I think), and other FF games. Seems to be a common theme in and of itself.

After playing more of this and taking part in the Record Keeper / Mobius FF event, I realize the story for FFI is the same-ish as Mobius. So, in essence, Mobius is a remake of FFI. And that's OK by me. 

I die a lot.
Complaints? 
I die a lot. A lot a lot. Way more than I should. OK, that was mostly my fault. I didn't understand how to level up my character. Since I've done that, though, I die a LOT less. Heh.

Really big for a mobile game. I downloaded it the day it was released here in the US and had to download an update immediately. A 250MB+ update. Kinda huge.

My tablet is a 4 core and it has a little trouble with this game. Nothing game stopping, just a little jerky from time to time.

This game requires an internet connection. On a phone with a huge data plan, no big deal. On a tablet, works fine at home, but when traveling, not so much. It's recommended that you have a wi-fi connection, too. 

Overall? 
Great fun. I'm not sure if this will have a main storyline that will end, or if it will continue on forever (can't see how that's possible), but what I've played so far has been fun. They recently rolled out the multiplayer, but I don't typically do multi, unless forced to in a beta, so I have no opinion on that aspect.

My rating? 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 9/10 life hearts.
Such a fun game! They include bonus regions that are only up for a limited time and you can get some really good cards and items from these areas. This is a game that's fun to play a bit at a time, whenever you have a few minutes to kill.

This is free to play, but they do have optional in-game purchases available. I've yet to feel the need to spend any real money. There are two chapters of the game available. I don't know if that's all there is, or if there's more and they'll make you pay to continue the story mission. We'll see...

Where to buy?
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...