Friday, May 20, 2016

—Game Review— Lost Odyssey

A JRPG written by someone who used to work on Final Fantasy games for Squeenix? Yes, please. Don't remember where I heard that, it's been so long, but this game definitely has that feel. Sooooo worth buying! 



***Lost Odyssey***


Published by Microsoft | Developed by Mistwalker
Released 2008 | JRPG | Xbox 360 exclusive
*Rated T for Teen*
Language | Suggestive Themes
Use of Alcohol | Violence

HGG rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 8/10


Synopsis? 
You are Kaim, an immortal with no memory of the past 1000 years. You must join with others to investigate sources of magical energy that have gotten out of control. Eventually, you must stop the person who's causing it. 

First impressions? 
It's been so long since my first playthrough that I honestly can't recall anything other than I liked the cutscenes, I hated Kaim's voice, and the battle system took some getting used to.

I do enjoy the opening battle scene where Kaim fights—and doesn't talk. lol (Huge thanx to the lovely YouTuber who posted this! You should take a moment to click over there and like the vid, if you liked it. It's good to show support to fellow gamers.)


Graphics and voices? 
Great. This is an Xbox 360 game so the graphics are decent. Fairly early 360 game, so it has its rough edges, but it's still pretty darn good. There's nothing I can remember at the moment that stood out, graphics-wise. And I love the steampunk-ish feel this game has.

The voice acting is really good, though I can't stand the voice of Kaim. He reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite and I freakin' hated that movie. His voice annoys the living crap outta me. I can ignore it 'cause that's just how good the story in this game is, but it's still... wow.

No offense to the voice actor here, or even the actor from Napoleon Dynamite. It's just a personal preference thing. Sorry. 

Gameplay? 
Interesting. It's your typical turn-based JRPG (dedicated fight screen and you can stand there all day and no one attacks anyone), but the actual attacks do require your participation. Push RT at the right moment to make your attack stronger than normal. It's not required unless you're trying to get all the achievements. It's not difficult, but it takes some getting used to. If you want to see an example of the gameplay, watch the video above. The gamer who posted it did the whole opening, which includes the "tutorial" battles.

This is one of those games that gives you a newgame+ option after you beat it the first time. (Just like Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia, and Final Fantasy Type-0, among others.) In Lost Odyssey, you start out at level 50 and, if I remember correctly, you still have your weapons and stuff. I could be mistaken about the weapons, though.

Storyline? 
Absolutely fascinating. Just what I would expect from someone associated with early Final Fantasy games. Also sad. I cried. More than once. And a lot.

An aspect of the story that I found really interesting is the memories that surface from time to time. These are done in story form, just words on the screen, albeit with a story-appropriate background graphic. They're not very long, each one a short story pertaining to some bit of the past trapped in Kaim's memory. Some of these are tear-inducing—no, scratch that. MOST of them are tear-inducing.

Complaints? 
The voice actor for Kaim. Perhaps if I'd never seen Napoleon Dynamite (HATED that movie) I wouldn't mind. Kaim sounds so much like Napoleon Dynamite that I have a hard time taking him seriously.

If I remember correctly, despite the open world aspect of this game, there's no fast travel or quick travel or whatever you want to call it. I hate when that's not included in open world games.

I'd also like this game for PC. I find it strange that Microsoft didn't release a PC edition. I think they should.

Overall? 
Excellent game! Worthwhile story, traditional JRPG gameplay, open world, just plain fun. But sad too. Very sad. If you like JRPGs combined with a story that WILL make you tear up if not outright cry, this is one you MUST play. 

My rating? 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ 8/10 life hearts. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys JRPGs, RPGs, or a really great story in a game. And yeah, it's definitely replayable.

Where to buy?
*Box art and other game related media in this post are © Microsoft/Mistwalker. These companies do not in any way endorse this fan blog.

Until next time... 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...